Naomi S Adams Austin Quilter of Killer Bee Designs

Posts Tagged ‘Batik’

Fun with Wax!

Friday, May 30th, 2008

Posted 5/30/08

batik-wax-dots.JPG

I was making batik recently and thought I’d share a few before and after pics. They’re not an overly glamorous color, but I think they’re fun nonetheless. This is a “before” photo of a muslin dye rag that I used to clean up after dyeing fabric messes. The darker areas show the wax dots resist that I placed on the fabric with the end of a wooden dowel.

batik-blue-dots.JPG

This is the “after” photo of how it dyed. I like that some of the dots are different colors and in my next batch I am going to try to intensify the colors.

batik-blue-circles.JPG

This is just one more picture of a batik I created in this blue batch. This design was created with a found wooden craft circle that my awesome woodworking friend drilled some holes in for me. I wanted to test a wood stamp with interior areas/holes where I didn’t want the wax to end up. The wax adhered well to the wood and I like the effect. This piece started with a plain white piece of Kona pfd cotton.

For this batch (and my previous attempts) I used dharma trading batik wax that is already blended into an awesome mixture that results in good cracking, etc. I liked the results, but I decided to branch out for a cheaper solution for the future. I ordered the waxes separately (parrafin and sticky wax) from dharma and will be dividing them up into the ratios of the batik wax myself. I’ll let you know how this goes! It’s A LOT cheaper, so I’m crossing my fingers.

3/52 2008 Weekly Journal Quilt

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008

 

Posted 1/23/08

Third Weekly Textile Art Piece by artist Naomi S Adams

This is 3/52 2008, my third weekly piece of 2008. It is another exploration of a possible larger quilt idea for my tree series. I wanted to try out this very graphic batik with a leaf print all over it, which seems to be on the edge of “could be fabulous, could be tragic.” I’m still assessing where it falls on that continuum. :)

However, serendipity rocks, because as I was folding up the batik to set it aside, the folds appeared like this, which I think is much more interesting! So now I’m working on how to harness this idea into a piece.

 

 Textile Art Piece titled Serendipityby artist Naomi S Adams

2/52 2008 Weekly Journal Quilt

Sunday, January 20th, 2008

Posted 1/20/08

Second Weekly Textile Art Piece by artist Naomi S Adams

I’m still catching up on posting my first few journal quilts of the year, so this is 2/52 2008. This journal was created to test out a design I’m working on in large scale. I wanted to see how the painted green inner leaf piece would work out on the larger batik leaf. I think I need more contrast, so I’m now auditioning some other options.

The background fabrics are my hand dyed solids and I over stamped the brown branches by using the PenScore ® Magic Stamp product.

1/52 2008 Weekly Journal Quilt

Friday, January 18th, 2008

Posted 1/18/08

First Weekly Textile Art Piece by artist Naomi S Adams

This is my first weekly quilt of 2008, aptly named 1/52 2008. :) I started using small journal quilts in 2007 to try new techniques, explore larger art quilt themes on a smaller scale, and have some fun with surface design. I think it was a valuable growth experience last year, so I have decided to continue in 2008. For more about weekly quilts, check out Jeanne Williamson, an amazing mixed media artist who has been doing this for years.

My personal agreements for this 2008 project:

  1. The finished size is 6″ x 8″.
  2. I should complete the quilt by Sunday night at midnight.
  3. I shouldn’t worry about it being a masterpiece!

This piece was created while I was using some eraser circle stamps I made to try to add depth to a red print I was using for my current large piece. The red fabric I was desperately trying to “fix” has since been edited out of that quilt for the greater good. :) I was also working with a piece of orange cloth and had this orange paint left over, which I hate to waste! After the paint dried and was heat set, I added fused batik circles, hand embroidered the “x’s” and voila.

Welcome to my new blog!