Naomi S Adams Austin Quilter of Killer Bee Designs

Posts Tagged ‘Artist’s Valentine’

49/52 2008 Weekly Journal Quilt

Wednesday, December 10th, 2008

Posted 12/10/08

4952-2008.JPG

This is my weekly journal quilt 49/52 2008, 6″ x 8.  This is the second piece that I will be donating to the Artist’s Valentine project. It’s funny how I will think a piece of surface designed fabric is a failed experiment and then later find the perfect way to use it. This red background piece is an experiment I didn’t really think worked out. I was working with a new water based resist product and I didn’t like the way the red paint bled into the areas that were supposed to be white. For this piece, though, I like the contrast between the crisp teal/blue hearts I painted on next to the fuzziness of the red spirals. I used freezer paper templates to create the painted hearts.  For the quilting on this piece, I got to play with a new toy from the Houston International Quilt Festival.  I purchased a circular attachment for my Bernina. Now, before you criticize the unevenness of the stitch lengths or that some shapes are spirals and not circles, this is not the fault of the attachment! I tried some regular circles (which were perfect by the way.) But I also tried using the attachment the “wrong” way and got awesome spirals.  To finish this piece, I fused a piece of fabric to the back of the interfacing and zig zagged the edges.

48/52 2008 Weekly Journal Quilt

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008

Posted 12/9/08

48522008.JPG

This is my weekly journal quilt 48/52 2008, 6″ x 8″. It’s the end of the year, and I’m all engrossed with the larger quilt I’m making! This is good, but sometimes it makes my brain a little full for ideas for new weekly journal quilts. I decided to make a couple of journal quilts specifically to donate to the Artist’s Valentine project. It’s a cool project that has artist’s donate valentines for a sale of artwork, and then the money is then given back to artist’s that contributed (based on a juried process.)

I started this piece by sewing a brown paper bag with red stamped images on it to a red and white print fabric for the base. I then added red tulle in crossways strips across the piece and sewed them down. Then, the REALLY fun part started! I cut up some treasured red and white coffee cup sleeves from a holiday series that Starbucks did a couple of years ago. I crazy pieced all the little pieces without logos from the coffee cup sleeves  together with red zig zag stitches on my sewing machine. When I had a large enough piece to work with, I cut this piece into a heart and sewed it to the based piece. I fused a back on and zig zagged the edges to finish.