This is my monthly journal quilt 2/12 2009, 12″ x 12″. I thought it would be wise to re-enter the world of improvisational piecing in preparation for my workshop with Nancy Crow in April. I will be bringing my hand dyed, mostly solid, fabrics with me, so I tried this journal quilt using some scrap bin pieces of solid color cottons. I find that this piece doesn’t “look” like my work, which I think is mostly a result of the use of plain solid colors. If I used batiks, I think it would have looked more like my work. I used a simple motif of a hand cut “cross or t” shape and made sure to turn the cut piece 180 degrees when re-piecing it to the middle cross line. I quilted this piece with heavy black top-stitching thread.
I think the visual effect of the design makes it look pregnant, or as if it is convex and coming towards the viewer. I particularly dislike the right edge, where the crop turned out too thin. I think this is a product mostly of trying to fit it into my journal quilt format of 12″ x 12″. I’m pretty sure if I was able to have a more organic size, i.e. whatever size the piece just turned out to be, I would have been happier with the result. I am resisting my desire to paint all over this piece, which is what I really want to do, but in the back of my mind I know it won’t help. Instead, I think I’ll move on to next months’ piece!